It is a fact of the internet that every click, every view and every sign-up is recorded somewhere. Depending on your view, this is either very creepy or fantastically interesting. As we’re data nerds here at Brandwatch we fall firmly in the second camp.
We come across all sorts of interesting stats about social media sites and users, so we’ve collated the best of them in this bumper facts list.
For the curious, these represent a series of numbers that boggle the mind, users counted in tens and hundreds of millions, and time in millions and billions of hours. For marketers, knowing the statistics behind the social networks can inform strategy and spend, allowing focused targeting of users.
Social media statistics
- For context, as of July 2015, total worldwide population is 7.3 billion
- The internet has 3.17 billion users
- There are 2.3 billion active social media users
- 91% of retail brands use 2 or more social media channels
- Internet users have an average of 5.54 social media accounts
- Social media users have risen by 176 million in the last year
- 1 million new active mobile social users are added every day. That’s 12 each second
- Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp handle 60 billion messages a day
BY KIT SMITH